Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Reflection and a Preview.

This summer has really been slim pickins for jobs, but I'm not too concerned. I've been really using this extra free time to reflect on myself, rearrange my goals and basically just set everything on the right track.

The fact that I got into Animation still baffles me (in a good way), and I am very grateful for all that has happened to me these past three years. Soon, I will be getting an Advanced Diploma in the mail; REAL credentials that I am a REAL artist now, and in four years, I will be getting a Degree in Animation! I have to say it couldn't turn out any better than this, except maybe winning the lottery so I would have essentially a free post secondary education...but I digress.

I really want to thank everyone that believed in me. You guys know who you are. I appreciate everything that you've done for me, and I will make you guys proud. :) Also, thanks to the couple of people that helped me out on my preliminary work; I know you guys were secretly stressing out about where I was standing completion-wise on my portfolio at the time, even though I was confident that everything would turn out good in the end (up to the night before handing it in, oh my goodness was I ever freaking out).

For those who did not believe, I don't think that a thanks is appropriate, lol. But neither is an "EFF YOU I GOT IN!". This is the real world, and we're all competing now. No matter what, from this point forward, people are going to look at our work and say one thing to our faces, and another thing behind our backs. It is the nature of things, and only the people with a true professional attitude will get through it all. Some may say that we're still in school and it shouldn't be like that, but what is school for? To learn what? How to deal with the real world. This is PREP; if you're going to whine that school should have zero competitive atmosphere and be all "learn learn learn!" then go back to high school, because you are not ready.

So that's what I've been doing since April 23rd; getting ready for some seeerious competition.

I've also been just rethinking things in general: my goals, my friendships and my self, personality-wise. I know that through this blog post I'm pretty much just typing to cyberspace, but I'll just go on anyway because I like writing blogs. :P Throughout the majority of my life, I have been a chameleon (fun fact: because of this, I was considering renaming this blog to 'chameleon' as I had a design made for a business project...that redesign thing by the way? STILL PENDING). I find it hard to fit in, it's been like that since I changed schools in grade 5, so I usually resort to moulding myself to fit whoever I am hanging out with. Because of this, I ended up losing who I really was, so this summer, I've been defining that.

I think it's necessary to do so because in turn, it will also define my art and make it stand out. Being memorable is key in the art world, as my former business teacher taught me.

I certainly hope that anyone who stumbles upon my blog will remember me. :) Here is a preview of a piece I'm currently working on!

This preview is actually from April, HAHAHA. At this very moment, the entire thing is nearly done, I just have a few details and extras to add in. From this, I have learned two things:

1. I cannot finish something halfway or I will never get it done, which is precisely what happened here - half done in April and it's almost June!

2. I actually HATE painting digitally. I have little patience for it because blending takes too long for me; I prefer real paint. That's pretty much the only reason though naturally the more I paint digitally, the better I'll get at blending, and HOPEFULLY the more I will enjoy it.

You guys thought I was joking about "paint yourself as a superhero/villain"? Think again.

That's enough rambling for now I think. T'as lu tout ça? Merci et à bientôt! :) J'ai beaucoup à partager avec toi.

2 comments:

sussman said...

melissa! hows it going? hope your summers going great, have you been doing a lot of drawing? :D in any case, try doing as much cafe sketching as you can and try to caricature people, try to get their likeness, it'll help you (and anyone for that matter) in the long run, when creating characters and recognizing specific character types. also here's an interesting lesson about light and colour for painting..i just read this the other day and it instantly helped me improved an acrylic painting im working on. its definitely interesting so you should check it out http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=148355 also, once you start first yr in september, remember to have fun with your art regardless of how competitive it may be - dont let it get you down, cuz it can be overwhelming for sure. anyway i hope this is somewhat helpful and doesnt sound too cocky? haha congrats on getting in!

Melissa said...

Ahh what the heck, I replied to this like 500 years ago and it's not on here. D: I don't remember exactly what I said Noam, but I did say a huge thank you!!!!! :)

Post a Comment